About Scala Foundation
Scala Foundation is a nonprofit organization in Princeton, New Jersey that works with students, educators and life-long learners anywhere who are committed to the transformational, holistic tradition of liberal arts education. Scala’s conferences, reading groups, seminars, webinars, student trips, and intensive summer programs all have the goal to promote scholarship and teaching that furthers authentic human well-being and to create learning communities based on friendship and the love of truth. Scala’s programs are grounded in the conviction that human beings are created in the image of God, and that education should help each person discover one’s unique calling. www.scalafoundation.org
Scala Foundation seeks to hire a Managing Director to lead its operations and development. The Managing Director position is full time and will report to the Executive Director. Residence (or willingness to relocate) near Princeton is required. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with an anticipated start date of November 1, 2020 (or until the position is filled). Compensation will be determined based on experience and qualifications.
The Managing Director be involved in all aspects of Scala’s operations, development, and programs. The Managing Director will report to and work closely with the Executive Director and the Board to develop strategic goals, track and improve internal operations and development practices, and align priorities with Scala’s budget and personnel.
- Work with Executive Director to plan for achieving strategic goals; oversee all aspects of operations, including events, accounts payable/payroll, and information technology; supervise Scala team members and student interns; oversee marketing and social media; prepare reports for Executive Director, board and tax/audit purposes; maintain office space and supplies.
- Work with Executive Director to set regular development goals; draft foundation proposals and pitches to donors; maintain donor database; track key metrics in donor engagement and development; report to Board and Executive Director on key development initiatives and metrics; identify new prospects for development; represent Scala at networking events and development meetings.
Successful applicants will have three or more years experience in a similar role. Additionally, applicants should be proficient with or able to learn QuickBooks, Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneDrive), WordPress, Dropbox, Gsuite (especially Gmail, Google calendar, Google Drive and Google Docs), Asana (or a similar project management software), and social media platforms (e.g., LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.). Moderate to advanced knowledge of Raisers’ Edge (or CRM systems more generally) would be a plus. Knowledge of Canva, other graphic design software, and video editing software would also be a plus.
Successful applicants will possess the following qualities:
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, extremely collegial
- Excellent research and organizational skills
- Outstanding communications skills, written and oral
- Integrity/ethics beyond reproach
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and good judgment
- Constantly looking to apply best practices
- Willingness to learn new skills as needed
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for, understanding of, and commitment to Scala’s mission and goals
Ability to make a difference, deal with great contacts, students and educators, chance to help grow a nonprofit, and be of service.
Salary and Benefits
This position is full-time and on-site in Princeton, New Jersey. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. Please state in your cover letter your requirements for salary and benefits.
To apply, please send the documents listed below in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the applicant’s name and “Managing Director Position” in the subject line. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- Cover letter, describing your interest in both the work of Scala Foundation and in the Managing Director position specifically. Include your salary and benefits requirements in your cover letter.
- Resume or CV.
- Three references, including contact information and your relationship to the referee. Please include at least two professional references that can speak to your abilities to fulfill the job duties outlined herein and at least one academic reference that can speak to your intellectual curiosity.