Note: Alumna Joan Watson works in this diocese and would be good alumni support. This job description may read like a run-of-the-mill DRE position, but the pastor is looking for someone to think outside the box. The parish will be working closely with the diocesan office to possibly create an entirely new approach to religious education. It’s a large suburban parish, and there’s a huge opportunity here to do something new.
Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church seeks qualified candidates for the position of Director of Faith Formation. This individual works primarily to promote, cultivate, and foster the catechetical and spiritual formation of parishioners. In cooperation with Adult Faith Formation, RCIA, and Youth Ministry as well as other catechetical apostolates, the Director of Faith Formation will primarily provide opportunities for catechetical formation utilizing diverse formats including classes, conferences, small groups, and mentorship. The ideal candidate must be an innovative individual who is willing to work with the parish formation team to create and execute all catechetical initiatives to meet the needs of a growing, suburban parish, as well as possess the motivation and skillset to carry out these initiatives.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY INCLUDE:
• Facilitate catechetical opportunities for children, adults, and families.
• Create a plan for catechetical and spiritual formation to evangelize, disciple, and catechize all parishioners.
• Assesses program needs and then sets goals and objectives for the program through collaboration with the pastor, and other staff and volunteers leading apostolates at the parish.
• Recruits and trains catechists and aides for catechetical programming.
• Develops an annual calendar of catechetical formation and events to meet the parish’s needs.
• Manages catechetical opportunities, personnel, and physical resources of the parish as it pertains to the catechizing and evangelization efforts of the parish formation team.
• Mentors catechists to ensure that each one is supported with all that they will need to fulfill the goal of evangelizing and catechizing those entrusted to their care.
• Develops relationships with support volunteers to serve as substitute catechists or to help with program needs.
• Evaluates programming for catechetical initiatives coordinating with the parish formation team to ensure that the goal of the formation of the whole family is central in expending parish resources.
• Reviews and ensures that a safe environment program is incorporated into the catechetical programming schedule.
• Coordinates and works with youth and their families in preparing for First Reconciliation, Eucharist, and Confirmation, including planning and conducting the meetings with parents.
• Develops the scope and sequence of sacramental program preparation with the input and approval of the pastor.
• Develops the scope and sequence of Confirmation meetings, retreats, service opportunities, communications, and rites with the input and approval of the pastor. Schedules Confirmation dates with Bishop’s representative.
• Plans and coordinates First Communion retreats.
• Oversees the organization and implementation of sacrament receptions
• Participates in staff meetings and regularly reviews the status of program goals and priorities.
• Maintains open communication with staff and parish community regarding catechetical activities.
• Stays up to date regarding diocesan policies and best practices to ensure the parish policies regarding catechetical formation are formulated according to current standards.
• Prepares and submits an annual ministry plan outlining an analysis of previous formation efforts with concrete matrices of success as well as future proposals for initiatives to further formation goals.
• Prepares and submits an annual budget for formation activities to be submitted to the pastor as a part of the annual parish budget.
• Prepares and submits needed reports as required by the diocese.
• Represents the parish at diocesan sponsored catechetical functions and conferences. Plans and conducts parish catechetical meetings for catechists and parents as needed during the year.
• Plans and coordinates catechist recognition events, e.g., dinner, receptions, at least once annually.
• Reviews, selects, and purchases program supplies, books, resources, and needed program materials.
• Maintains student files regarding sacramental records, attendance, progression, and evaluations at end of the program year.
• Maintains ongoing records on students and catechists.
• Maintains classroom needs with the parish community. Ensures that classrooms are in order and stocked with needed supplies and equipment, that organization of classroom arrangement is maintained, and that instructional signs are in place.
• Maintains a resource library for catechists.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALITIES:
• Bachelor’s Degree in education, Theology, Divinity, Catechetics, Youth Ministry, or related field and/or Associates Degree with five years of managerial experience.
• Prior parish ministry experience is preferred.
• Capable of planning and executing events such as retreats and conferences as well as a strong desire and ability to mentor other ministry leaders and parishioners. Must be a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church.
Leadership, interpersonal communication, organization, problem-solving, motivating others, written communication, vision/planning, creativity/innovation, conflict resolution, delegation
For consideration, please email cover letter and resume to Office@ololcconline.com
1729 Stop 30 Road, Hendersonville, TN 37075 Phone: (615) 824-3276 • www.ololcconline.com