Rapid City, SD
(Full-Time, 30-40 hours)
Blessed Sacrament is a Church located in Rapid City, SD. Our Parish serves 1600 families and strives to continue the work of Jesus.
The Youth Evangelist (YE) provides vision and coordination for the parish’s efforts in ministry to young people from 6th through 12th grades. This includes high school and middle school sessions and sacramental preparation (Confirmation). The Youth Evangelist will assist the Director of Evangelization in the care, guidance, and growth of the parish community. The primary mission of the YE is to bring others to Christ by evangelizing, teaching, forming, and guiding the faithful in their faith journey. The primary goal of the YE is the execution of evangelization and formation resulting in the formation of intentional disciples among youth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop/continue to grow, with the Director of Evangelization, an effective plan for evangelizing youth within and outside the parish church.
• Draw on personal strengths and creativity to develop new avenues to form and evangelize the faith community.
• Develop and manage curriculum for middle school (EDGE) and high school (LIFETEEN) youth programs in collaboration with the Director of Evangelization.
• Communicate up-to-date information and promotional materials on the parish website, bulletin, and social media platforms.
• Serve students at larger diocesan events such as Steubenville, World Youth Day, and Totus Tuus summer camps.
• Schedule and coordinate a yearly retreat for middle school, high school, and confirmation students.
• Coordinate and perform record-keeping of student participation and confirmation paperwork.
• Assist in the administrative and clerical support needs of the Evangelization department
• Engage in relational ministry with students outside of the parish.
• Promote and arrange social opportunities through age-appropriate activities for youth.
• Recruit, coordinate, and train Core Team members.
• Collaborate with other parish ministries, particularly the Evangelization team.
• Advertise, plan, and host yearly parent information meetings for Confirmation.
• Implement and lead Confirmation sessions.
• Plan and oversee Confirmation Mass.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Live the Core Values – Prayer (seek a daily encounter with God in Christ through the Holy Spirit), Stewardship (live a life of generous hospitality, lively faith, and dedicated discipleship), Solidarity (recognize and accept all people as brothers and sisters in Christ; being responsible for the common good of all), Mercy (the steadfast kindness, compassion, and forgiveness received from God and extended to others), Charity (love God and others because God has first loved us), Family (the domestic church, the foundation of society, and the communion of persons called to reflect the life of the Trinity).
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional parishioner related situations; Responds promptly to parishioner needs; Solicits parishioner feedback to improve service; Quickly responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Able to read and interpret written information.
Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other Qualifications – Practicing Catholic with a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, a love for the Catholic Faith, a Catholic Worldview, and a passion for sharing the Faith with others. Must understand, support, and articulate the Catholic Faith as taught by the Church. Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in theology, catechetics, or related field. Prior experience in parish pastoral ministry is helpful. Passionate about helping young people grow as intentional disciples of Christ. Desire to journey with parents, families, and youth in a long-term relationship. Must have excellent organizational, communications, and leadership skills, and ability to relate to parishioners of all ages. Must make themselves available for planned evangelization or catechesis activities scheduled on evenings and weekends and, within established guidelines. Must successfully complete Safe Environment training and a background screening prior to employment.
Send applications or inquiries to: email@example.com