The mission of the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Chris to the world. In the faithful pursuit of this mission, the archdiocese is seeking a Director of the Office of Worship.
The Director of the Office of Worship will assist the Archbishop of Washington in his role as chief liturgist of the archdiocese. The Director of the Office of Worship will also be responsible for coordinating Archdiocesan liturgies at which the Archbishop presides, offer appropriate training, workshops, and catechesis for liturgical formation, and develop and have a thorough knowledge of the Archdiocesan Liturgical Norms and Policies.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists the Archbishop of Washington in his role as chief liturgist of the archdiocese.
- Coordinates and assists in the planning and preparation of archdiocesan masses and liturgies at which the Archbishop presides, participates, or attends, including the Chrism Mass, clergy funerals, the Mass for Life, the Red Mass, Rite of Election, confirmations, ordinations, dedication of churches and altars, blessings, and other archdiocesan ceremonies and events.
- Assists and serves as Master of Ceremonies for liturgies celebrated by the Archbishop of Washington at the Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle, parishes in the archdiocese, and the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, particularly during Christmas and Holy Week.
- Plans, coordinates, implements, and assists major liturgies at the Cathedral of Saint Matthew and the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in collaboration and consultation with the Rector of the Cathedral and the Director of Liturgy and Music at the Basilica.
- Effectively communicates the Archdiocesan Liturgical Norms and Policies, guidelines and directives to the Pastors, clergy, and the faithful. When necessary, provides appropriate catechesis in the areas of divine worship and sacramental life.
- Oversees the Office of Worship budget.
- Oversees the Office of Worship webpage on ADW website.
- Recommends to the archbishop through the Moderator of the Curia policy, practice and catechesis in the areas of worship and sacramental life in cooperation with archdiocesan departments and in consultation with Canonical Services and the Moderator of the Curia.
- Provides and coordinates periodic liturgical training during the year for lectors and extraordinary ministers of holy communion and other education resources for Pastors, clergy, and other parish liturgical ministers.
- Serves on the Archdiocesan Sacred Arts and Building Advisory Committee.
- Maintains the Saint Ursula Chapel at the Pastoral Center for daily liturgies and events.
- Responsible for the preparation for daily Mass as well as the proper cleaning of vessels and linens.
- Provides support for the planning of the recorded Sunday Mass for Shut-Ins, particularly when the Archbishop of Washington presides at the Christmas or Easter Mass. Coordinates with the director and producer of the Mass for Shut-Ins.
- Assists and supports the Director of Liturgy and Music at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception when the Archbishop of Washington presides at Live Broadcasts from the Basilica (Easter Sunday, Christmas Day, the CUA Mass of the Holy Spirit).
- Responsible for the upkeep of all Archdiocesan vestments (these include vestments from the 2005 Papal visit: dalmatics, chasubles for concelebrating priests and bishop vestments) located at the Pastoral Center and the Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle
- Supervise the Office of Worship staff.
- Prepares and publishes the annual Archdiocesan Ordo to be distributed to Bishops, Pastors, parishes, and seminaries; coordinates with the Secretariat of Ministerial Leadership the updated necrology for the Ordo.
- Consults with Pastors in ensuring liturgies presided by the Archbishop at the Parish follow the guidelines presented in the Liturgical Norms and Policies.
- Additionally, may have other responsibilities as requested by the Office of the Moderator of the Curia.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work and relate to a variety of personalities and cultures.
- Strong leadership ability and proven ability to manage others.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments consecutively and prioritize workloads.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a Theology, Catechesis or comparable level of knowledge
- Master’s degree a plus.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Minimum three years of experience coordinating, planning, and implementing liturgical events at the parish level.
- Thorough knowledge and familiarity with the Archdiocesan Liturgical Norms and Policies.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send resume and cover letter to Lisa Calla-Russ at the Archdiocese of Washington email@example.com