Los Angeles, CA or Washington, DC area with a potential to be remote.
As cutting-edge newsmakers, thought-leaders, and educators for the pro-life movement, Live Action is growing our team of talented professionals working to transform public opinion on abortion in America and seeks a full-time Vice President of Communications (VPC). The VPC is a seasoned communications expert and thought-leader who can translate complex problems into clear, thoughtful messaging. The VPC is a superb writer and editor and has a “nose” for the story. Not only do they have exceptional attention to detail, but they can simultaneously balance multiple priorities under tight deadlines. Working closely with Live Action’s Leadership Team, the VPC possesses the passion and creativity to change the national discussion on abortion and inspire political and social change.
The VPC must be passionately dedicated to Live Action’s mission and must be inspired to do the best work of her/his life. This position offers the potential for growth and the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, growing, and highly productive team. The position is based in either Los Angeles, CA, or the Washington, DC area.
The VPC’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Integrate into all relevant areas of Live Action while working with key leaders to build and implement media, PR, and content strategies that accelerate ongoing initiatives.
- Monitor all Live Action mentions by the outside world, ensuring the brand is accurately represented.
- Build the standards, processes, and infrastructure needed to scale an elite communications team driving value at a fast-growing organization.
- Build a messaging and communications plan against the existing content slate and maximize positive media coverage of our efforts to maintain brand consistency.
- Establish regular reporting for the executive team tracking progress towards communications goals and potential threats to the organization’s brand.
- Craft all press releases, pitches, and other PR materials to fully leverage the team’s spokesperson(s).
- Enlist and manage PR agencies as needed for crucial content projects.
- Build campaigns that clearly reflect the brand in strategic positioning as well as content and tone.
- Serve as Lead Editor for Live Action News, ensuring world-class coverage of life-related issues.
- Write and edit investigative reports and op-eds, enlisting additional support as needed.
- Manage staff writers and researchers to ensure accurate and compelling reporting.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and goals, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct regular reviews, and provide feedback as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least seven years’ leadership experience in public relations or communications.
- An expert in pro-life and bioethics issues.
- Communications credentials with a senior role in a recognized brand or organization, with the strong network and relationships that come with this experience.
- High alignment with organizational brand values, mission, and goals.
- A strategic, logical, solution-oriented approach to managing opportunities and challenges; can always lead to a positive outcome.
- Ability to retain a journalistic “outsider’s perspective,” to bridge-build with various worldviews, and to provoke and engage controversy with persuasiveness and poise.
- Computer literacy including MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and G Suite products (Google Docs, Gmail, etc.), along with internal productivity tools such as Slack and Asana, among others. Significant experience crafting effective email communications for external stakeholders (e.g., press, politicians, etc.)
- Exceptional time management, planning, and interpersonal skills.
- A high degree of diplomacy, sound judgment, and discretion when dealing with media, team members, contractors, volunteers, donors, and partner groups.
Application Submission Process:
Please submit a cover letter, work samples, and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write: VP Communications_(your last name). No phone calls, please.
In your cover letter, please include your position on abortion (one to two paragraphs).
All staff members are required to sign Live Action’s Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement.
Live Action is dedicated to ending abortion and building a culture of life in America and beyond. We believe that every human life has intrinsic value and rights. We expose the truth about abortion and counter the misinformation campaign of the multi-billion dollar abortion industry and lobby. Today, we host the largest online presence for the pro-life movement, with millions of supporters throughout the United States.