Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops, Tallahassee, Florida
The Associate for Social Concerns and Respect Life (ASC/RL) serves as a resource professional for the social concerns and respect life activities of the Conference including the following committees: State ProLife Coordinating Committee (SPLCC) and Social Concerns Committees (including the Prison Ministry Committee and Family Life Directors).
The ASC/RL is under the supervision, works closely with and reports on all activities to the executive director. The ASC/RL advocates social justice and respect life issues before state and federal agencies; coordinates with various Catholic and other advocacy groups; monitors and participates in the state legislative budget process; and directs various lobbying and statewide conference projects as assigned by the executive director.
• The ASC/RL is a committed Catholic who is conversant on Catholic Social Teaching, especially as it relates to protecting the sanctity of human life and defending human dignity;
• Professes a philosophy in harmony with the Florida Catholic Conference (FCC)/Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops (FCCB);
• Possesses a Master’s degree or equivalent background gained through experience and training;
• Knowledge of the legislative process and ability to promote and advocate for just solutions in the public policy arena.
• Ability to work with individuals and groups and convey Church position to the executive and legislative branches of state government and private organizations.
• Accepts direction and supportive assistance from FCC/FCCB leadership.
• Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to capture succinctly the essence of discussions.
• Executive ability to plan, organize, direct and manage business aspects of the position.
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Death Penalty
• Human Trafficking
• Criminal Justice
• Juvenile Justice
• Marriage and Family
• Adoption/Foster Care
• Domestic Violence
• Welfare Reform
ASC/RL Represents the Conference and networks with the following organizations:
• Executive Office of the Governor
• Department of Children and Families
• Department of Health [in coordination with the FCC/FCCB Associate for Health]
• Department of Corrections
• Department of Juvenile Justice
• Department of Business and Professional Regulation
• Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA)
• Office of Adoption and Child Protection
• Faith-based and Community-based Advisory Council
• Floridians Against the Death Penalty (FADP)
• Florida Pregnancy Care Network (FPCN)
• Florida Housing Finance Corporation
• Sadowski Coalition for Affordable Housing
• Florida Legal Services
• Florida Community Loan Fund
• Pro-Family Group including FCCB, FL Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, Florida Family Policy Council
• Florida Council of Catholic Women
• Monitor and participate in the state legislative process.
• Keep the executive director, and members of pertinent policy and advocacy committees, apprised of all important matters affecting social concerns and respect life.
• Organize and staff meetings of the State Pro-Life Coordinating Committee, the Prison Ministry Committee, and Family Life Directors.
• Prepare correspondence, reports, presentations and meeting agendas, organize material, compile background supporting materials for meetings, work projects and reports related to the above assigned committees.
• Attend and represent the FCC/FCCB at appropriate state and national meetings concerning respect life and social concerns, reporting outcomes to appropriate committees of concern.
• Establish and maintain liaison with governmental agencies and private organizations listed above.
• Monitor and report to pertinent committees on implementation of state and federal laws and regulations affecting respect life and social concerns.
• Promote the bishops’ positions on legislation through lobbying, preparing position papers and letters.
• Prepare and present testimony and statements to state legislative committees and government agencies.
• Prepare legislative alerts in coordination with the FCC/FCCB Associate Director for Communications on state and federal issues related to social concerns and respect life.
No phone calls, please.