Diocese of Arlington, Arlington, VA
Digital and Social Media Specialist
The primary responsibility of the Digital and Social Media Specialist is to leverage the full power of the digital media platforms of the Arlington Catholic Herald ─ principally its website, eNewsletter, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube ─ to promote the publication’s visibility by generating more clicks, views and positive engagement online. By facilitating a more robust digital presence, the Specialist will help build a strong, engaged community that will support the Herald’s evangelization goals.
– In-depth knowledge and understanding of all digital media platforms;
– website content management systems (CMS);
– photo and video editing software;
– web analytics.
– Highly proficient in project management.
– Excellent verbal and written communication, with emphasis on repurposing content across social media platforms.
– Extraordinary attention to detail and sound judgment.
– Demonstrated ability to use online networking sites;
– to create innovative marketing and promotion strategies;
– to develop a distinctive “voice” of the Herald that is personable enough to retain visitors through one-on-one interaction and that reflects the overall tone of the diocese even in the informal environment of social media;
– to create, edit and post video for different platforms;
– to manage and adapt to changing demands and priorities.
– Must be a consummate team player and a Catholic who is familiar with the teachings of the Church, its organization and nomenclature, and the role of digital media in evangelization.
– Experience writing for a media organization preferred.
– Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience.
Years and Types of Experience:
– Three to five years of digital and/or social media marketing experience, preferably in the newspaper or magazine industry.
- As part of the editorial team, develop comprehensive and creative strategies to increase engagement and reach on all Herald platforms.
- Collaborate online with important stakeholders in the diocese, especially parishes and elementary and secondary schools, and drive Catholic Herald content across multiple platforms.
- Create original content for digital media channels.
- Drive strategy for the Herald website to boost engagement. Exercise responsibility for day-to-day management of the website, including routinely posting content.
- Increase the use and effectiveness of video on the various platforms by shooting and editing videos and ensuring high production values.
- Use relevant metrics and analytics to evaluate tactics and strategies for effectiveness on a continual basis, refining activities in a real-time basis to incorporate the data. Produce and share regular data/analytics reports with relevant Herald staff.
- Help to grow the Herald’s community of online followers, friends and subscribers; actively engage Catholics of the diocese in a dialogue to transform them into advocates for the Herald who utilize Herald content to evangelize others.
- Coordinate Herald digital media efforts with the Arlington diocesan Communications office.
- Ensure that the Herald is using its current platforms in the best way possible by staying current with technologies, layout changes, and with the general social media landscape. Identify emerging social networks and platforms. Engage counterparts in other dioceses to share best practices.
- Contribute to the development of online advertising and marketing projects to promote visibility, drive traffic to its social media platforms and increase revenue.
- Educate Herald staff and other coworkers about current trends and how they impact the diocese in general and the media/newspaper industry in particular.
- Write for the Herald and report on events around the diocese, as availability and workload allow.