The Thomistic Institute is looking for a Lead Development Officer to work in-person in our D.C. office. Principal responsibilities include:
- Coordinating all TI fundraising efforts, in close collaboration with the Director of the TI, including the supervision of 2 TI team members who work at least part-time on fundraising.
- Aiding the Director in the work of donor relations and outreach (including preparing updates and reports for donors).
- Cultivating and strengthening relations with existing TI donors, through phone calls, in-person visits, invitations to special events, and other initiatives.
- Managing TI efforts to acquire new donors.
- Supervising TI direct mail, email, and crowdfunding appeals (primary responsibility for these belongs to another team member); coordinating the production of TI newsletters by the TI team; overseeing the TI team’s work of gift processing and donor acknowledgment.
- Writing grant proposals, preparing reports for grants received, and administering grant-awarded funds.
- Exercising primary responsibility for the maintenance of the TI donor database (Salesforce), with the support of technical staff.
- Planning and executing TI fundraising events; assisting as needed with other TI events (e.g., summer conferences, academic events, student retreats).
- Representing the TI at events, including introducing events, speaking on behalf of the TI to explain its mission, and introducing the core principles of the Catholic faith and of the Catholic intellectual tradition.
An expert fundraiser with 20+ years of experience in similar organizations will serve as an external mentor, coach, and trainer for this position.
Important Traits and Skills:
- 4+ years of experience in development and fundraising, demonstrating responsibility, good judgment, and strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- At least a B.A. degree or its equivalent;
- Good verbal and written communication skills, thrives working with people and building relationships;
- Organized, responsible, self-motivated; comfort and precision in handling project logistics;
- Knowledge of the Catholic intellectual tradition and motivation to spread the faith by intellectual evangelization;
- Expertise in Salesforce, Excel, Pardot, and Zapier is a plus.
The Thomistic Institute is a research institute of the Pontifical Faculty of the Dominican House of Studies and an apostolate of the Dominican friars of the Province of St. Joseph. The person holding this position will represent the Director and the Dominican friars in public, will bear witness to and teach the Catholic faith, and will at times participate in (and even lead others in) Catholic prayers. Applicants must be practicing Catholics in good standing who assent to and profess the Catholic faith in its entirety as presented in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
This position is a full-time, in-office position in Washington, D.C., and requires full-time residency in the greater Washington, D.C. metro area.
As part of the position, the Lead Development Officer will be entitled to take one course (free of charge) per semester at the Dominican House of Studies (e.g., M.A. level classes in philosophy or theology), during office hours. Class time is considered part of the workday and does not need to be made up later.
All members of the TI team are encouraged to participate in the regular liturgical life of the Dominican friars (e.g., step away from work for Mass, the daily midday rosary, the divine office, etc.).
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical benefits and a retirement plan. Two weeks of paid vacation; in addition, TI employees receive paid leave for most public holidays and Catholic Solemnities (e.g., the Triduum, St. Joseph’s Day, Immaculate Conception), plus from Dec. 21-Jan. 2 for the Christmas/New Year’s holiday.
Questions? Contact Ms. Teresa Linn at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (202) 495-3864.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary history, along with the names and contact information of two references, by using this portal. Apply soon: decisions will be made on a rolling basis.