Jesus is Lord
“Our mission is to inspire courageous lives of personal holiness, virtue, and wisdom through authentic Catholic Education.”
The Koinonia Academy is looking for 1st, 2nd, and 4th grade teachers.
Elementary School Teacher Job Description
Summary: Teaches by creating an atmosphere that values learning for its own sake; by encouraging students to persevere in their studies and to cultivate the skills, motives, and knowledge needed to flourish as human beings and sustain personal growth, academically and morally; by establishing good rapport with the students and their parents; by building a community characterized by civility and respect based on the person and teaching of Jesus Christ.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- State or specialty certification preferred but not required
- Understanding of, and agreement with the mission, philosophy, and pedagogy of Classical Christian Education at Koinonia Academy
- Teaching experience is strongly preferred, with exceptions granted for outstanding candidates with demonstrated teaching gifts and call to the teaching vocation
- Ability to teach well, as demonstrated by references and classroom management
- Mastery of subject matters to be taught, as demonstrated by references, education, and a willingness to learn and implement the pedagogy of a Classical Catholic Liberal Arts Education
- A credible profession of faith in Jesus Christ and acceptance of the teachings of the Catholic Church
- Practicing member of the Catholic Church or Christian denomination.
- A love for teaching and the recognition that every child is a child of God
- Views teaching as a high calling and is prompt and professional with school duties
- Self-educator and lifetime learner
- Well-spoken, teachable, and committed to grow, learn, and develop new understanding and skills
- Understanding of and ability to articulate biblical worldview into all subject matters to be studied
- Maturity and emotional stability and the ability to communicate with faculty and parents.
- Heart for elementary-school aged children, ability to interact with and lead children, strong desire to see children learn well, to know God, and to love God
Job Responsibilities with Students:
- Displays a genuine love for God, love of scripture, and love of learning
- Prays for each student in the class and models a positive Christian demeanor.
- Plans teaching schedule on a daily, weekly, semester, and yearly basis, with the help of the Lead teacher and Principal
- Works through the curriculum at an appropriate pace, with ongoing assessment of how each child is progressing through the material
- Uses formal and informal assessment tools to measure students’ progress
- Individualizes instruction according to each child’s needs while moving everyone toward class high standards of achievement
- Identifies and addresses academic or disciplinary problems, documents situations and/or alerts the Lead Teacher/Principal or parents when appropriate
- Respects the confidentiality of students, families, and colleagues by using the highest degree of discretion in all communication
- Completes administrative tasks to maintain smooth operation of the classroom
- Has documentation of completion of Protecting God’s Children
- Views parents as students’ primary teachers
- Views parent – teacher communication as highly important and valuable; expresses to parents a commitment to teach and nurture their child
- Communicates with parents when issues arise with their child, whether in academics, discipline, or other matters
- Makes parents aware of what is being taught at school through work sent home and other means
With Other Teachers:
- Works with other teachers to sharpen each other’s teaching, share wisdom, and share experience
- Contributes to a cooperative and collegial atmosphere among teachers and staff
- Participates in teacher mentoring relationships
- Avoids gossip or slander by eschewing idle conversation about students or others and brings problems up only with the appropriate persons
With the Principal
- Brings discipline or academic problems to attention of those leaders early, keeping them abreast of general progress and specific problems that arise
- Participates in training, prayer life of KA, and other meetings and initiatives
- Respects and upholds school policies and standards delineated in the faculty and student handbooks and in faculty training
- Follows Matthew 18:15-17 model for handling conflicts and disagreements
- Performs both teaching and non-teaching tasks with attention to quality, detail, timeliness, and professionalism Reporting Relationships
- Reports directly to the principal
Interested parties should send a resume and cover letter to Mrs. Peach Smith, the Curriculum Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.