Front Royal, VA
The Financial Aid Officer awards need and merit-based aid per College guidelines; administers the VTAG program of the state of Virginia and handles some aspects of Student Billing.
CHIEF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works closely with the Vice President of Finance and Admissions Office to determine financial aid awards, then notifies students/parents.
- Sends email of introduction to incoming students encouraging them to apply for need-based financial assistance through the College Board CSS Profile.
- Notifies Virginia students of VTAG opportunity. Prepares reports to the state for financial aid and VTAG.
- Maintains financial aid database in conjunction with Business Office Database & Cash Manager to provide accurate and timely information to the Vice President of Finance.
- Maintains financial aid records and correspondence. Purges older financial aid records annually according to document retention policy.
- Works with Advancement Office to update recipients for endowed scholarships.
- Advertises available competitive scholarships to all students.
- Reviews financial aid and billing areas of college website annually. Makes changes as needed.
- Cross train in Billing Management system.
- Uploads financial aid from financial aid database for billing twice a year.
- Assists Student Billing Officer with semester registration twice a year.
- Assists Student Billing Officer with updating monthly payment plan forms and agreements annually.
- Assists Student Billing Officer with preparation of annual audit reports.
- Assists Vice President of Finance with review of information for 1098-T tax forms in Billing Management system (Blackbaud).
- Assists Student Billing Officer with certifying outside private loans and maintains annual spreadsheet.
- Assists Student Billing Officer with preparation of students billed on or off campus and meals for Food Service, Director of Student Support Services, Student Life Registrar.
- Make adjustments to financial aid and billing management accounts for students who withdraw, are dismissed/suspended, move off campus, take a block meal plan or are released from the meal plan. Process refunds requests as necessary.
- With input from Student Billing Officer, submits list of doubtful accounts (requesting permission to write off as bad debt) to Vice President of Finance.
- Assists Student Billing Officer with maintaining Bad Debt files, bad debt spreadsheet and processes payments made toward bad debt.
- Assists Student Billing Officer with assisting families who have questions or difficulties using 529 plans.
- Other duties as needed.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time for the needs of the College, but a discussion between the employee and supervisor will take place prior to the change.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to provide a high level of customer service to student and parents in a professional, yet friendly manner.
- Must have good organizational skills and be able to multi-task.
- Must be a college graduate with two years of business, administrative or financial experience, or five or more years with college business or administrative experience.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL / EMOTIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Must be able to make quick decisions.
- Must be calm in stressful situations.