Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
As cutting-edge newsmakers, thought-leaders, and educators for the pro-life movement, Live Action is growing our team of talented professionals working to transform public opinion on abortion in America. Live Action seeks an experienced Vice President of Development (VPD) to build and grow our fundraising efforts across platforms. The VPD will oversee a team and strategy focused on cultivating new supporters and stewarding existing relationships. The ideal candidate is not only a seasoned manager with the ability to bring the best out of their team but also an expert storyteller who is able to accurately share the organization’s vision and mission.
The VPD must be committed to Live Action’s mission and must be inspired to do the best work of her/his life. This position offers potential for growth and the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, growing, and highly productive team. The position location is in Los Angeles, CA or Washington, DC.
The VPD’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the entire fundraising efforts of Live Action, generating $11MM+ per year.
- Oversee and manage the development department and associated team members, holding them accountable to both individual and organizational goals. This includes Live Action’s digital fundraising, direct mail fundraising, major gifts and foundations fundraising, and planned giving.
- Develop and implement an ongoing development strategy with clear deliverables and KPIs.
- Produce regular reports on department status for the executive team with proactive measures to identify areas of concern.
- Oversee and direct all donor communications across platforms including, but not limited to: email, direct mail, and in-person meetings.
- Cultivate and manage a personal caseload of key donors and prospective supporters, regularly making six and seven figure asks.
- Oversee and direct all donor-focused events including the annual Live Action Gala.
- With Executive Team approval, develop and oversee the Development Department budget and ensure it is aligned with organizational goals and needs.
- Increase overall donor giving, retention, and acquisition rates in line with the goals and needs of the organization.
- Manage all vendors, contractors, and consultants related to Development programs, including direct mail firms, printing houses, online and inbound marketing consultants, graphic designers and firms, etc.
- Recruit, hire, and train new development staff members.
- 7-10+ years of leadership experience in fundraising with a proven track record.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Track record of managing a portfolio of major donors and soliciting six-figure donations
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with executives and board members in development-related activities, providing them with high-quality support.
- Out-of-the-box thinking with a marketing edge.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working with Bloomerang or similar donor database
- Expertise in all major business software applications (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.). Hubspot and Crescendo experience a plus.
- Exceptional time-management, planning, and interpersonal skills.
- A high degree of diplomacy, sound judgment, humility, assertiveness, and discretion when dealing with media, team members, contractors, volunteers, donors, and partner groups.
- An entrepreneurial attitude geared towards identifying solutions.
- A passion for the pro-life cause and deep understanding of key messaging points.
Application Submission Process:
Please submit a cover letter, work samples, and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write: VP of Development_(your last name). No phone calls, please. Please indicate where you saw this job posting. In your cover letter, please include your position on abortion (one to two paragraphs). All staff members are required to sign Live Action’s Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement.
Live Action is dedicated to ending abortion and building a culture of life in America and beyond. We believe that every human life has intrinsic value and rights. We expose the truth about abortion and counter the misinformation campaign of the multi-billion dollar abortion industry and lobby. Today, we host the largest online presence for the pro-life movement, with millions of supporters throughout the United States.