In Defense of Christians (IDC) is a Washington, DC-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit and 501(c)(4) nonpartisan, social welfare organization that advocates in the legislative and executive branches of government for the protection and preservation of Christians in the Middle East.
IDC seeks a Government Relations Associate to advance policy priorities in Congress, through collaborative work with congressional allies and coalition partners.
The Government Relations Associate will engage regularly with Congressional offices on a bipartisan basis, building relationships with Members and their staffs, and educating them on IDC’s policy priorities.
The Government Relations Associate will be responsible for helping develop innovative legislative strategies, building coalitions with partner organizations around specific pieces of policy, tracking legislation that is of interest to IDC, helping to draft and shepherd legislation through Congress that progresses IDC’s mission.
- Bachelors degree in political science, international relations, history, or other related field
- At least one year of legislative experience; familiarity with legislative process and procedure
- A strong commitment to protecting and preserving the Christian communities of the Middle East
- Solid organizational skills, a track record of working efficiently in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment, preferably inside the Beltway; excellent time management skills
- Ability to work closely with a diverse team and range of partners across the political spectrum
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to develop trust-based relationships
- Strong commitment to ethical personal and professional conduct
- Coordinating and meeting with hundreds of congressional offices each year
- Tracking relationships with congressional offices, becoming familiar with each office’s priorities, and creatively integrating IDC’s priorities into theirs
- Generating congressional support for IDC’s legislative priorities by assisting in drafting legislation, and securing co-sponsorship commitments
- Following congressional committee/caucus/commission hearings/briefings, assisting committee/caucus/commission members to prepare for such events, and following up post-action.
- Tracking Legislation through Congress
- Coordinating for Members of Congress to speak at IDC events
Will include travel to domestic metropolitan areas for conference attendance, less than 10% of the time.
Salary will be based on candidate’s experience.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com