Good Shepherd School (GSS) located in Purcellville, VA is looking for an experienced professional to be its next Head of School. The Head of School is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the school, including the management of the teaching and administrative staff, and communications and outreach to school families and the broader community. The successful candidate will feel comfortable with fundraising and strategic planning.
The Head of School will report directly to the Board of Directors and work together with the teaching and administrative staff to lead day-to-day operations and strategic growth of the school. The Head of School will be the chief executive in charge of:
• Implementing the school’s vision on a day-to-day basis, enriching school culture and student life within the school community.
• Managing the faculty in their execution of the school’s various curricula and leading the weekly staff meeting.
• Hiring, supporting, evaluating, and retaining school personnel.
• Handling issues that arise in the normal rhythm of school life.
• Communicating with current and prospective parents.
• Leading and managing the recruitment of new students. This may include opening new grades as the school continues to grow and expand.
• Teaching a middle school section. Preference will be given to applicants with strong writing and/or math backgrounds.
• Annual budgeting, routine procurement, contracting, and operations management.
• Leading the school’s annual and targeted fundraising efforts.
• Liaising with the Board of Directors and other business staff and ensuring financial targets are met.
• Representing the school in the local community and building ties with the Catholic communities and business representatives to raise the school’s profile.
• Reporting regularly to the Board of Directors.
• Leading long-term growth projects for the school, including seeking accreditation and a permanent campus for GSS.
• Providing Catholic formation to school personnel and parents.
• Modeling professional, moral, and ethical standards as well as good character and integrity in all interactions.
About Good Shepherd School
Good Shepherd School is located in Purcellville, Virginia and serves the communities of western Loudoun County and points west. Our mission statement: “Rooted in the person of Jesus Christ, Good Shepherd School is a nurturing, academic environment designed for each child to grow in independence and virtue.”
Beginning with just ten students ages 3-5 in 2016, GSS enrolls 55 students from ages 3 through 14. The Pre-K and Kindergarten programs are prepared Montessori environments, and Grades 1-8 utilize a classical curriculum.
As GSS grows, it envisions adding students at all grade levels, while forming a classical-based high school program. All programs focus on the inculcation of faith, wisdom, and joy in young men and women in order to embrace their vocations as adults upon graduation.
The preferred candidate will have significant teaching and leadership experience in a school environment. Below are additional qualifications that will be evaluated in all applicants:
• A practicing Catholic whose faith and prayer life animate their entire life
• Proven ability to teach, manage, lead teams and develop individuals
• Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
• Solid track record of fiscal responsibility
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Understanding and appreciation of Montessori and Classical approaches to education
Please submit a cover letter explaining how your experiences exemplify the educational leader we seek as described in this position announcement. Applications will also include: a curriculum vitae; three professional references with names, relationship, phone number, and email address; and one pastoral reference. Materials should be emailed to the secretary of the Board of Directors, Janelle Mullins: firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.