Lake Ridge, VA
[PLEASE, no phone inquiries. Email resume/cover letter as directed. Position begins in mid-May]
In collaboration with the Pastor, the Faith Formation Director is responsible for guiding, developing, implementing, supporting, and evaluating the faith formation programming that best provides for an integrated development of the Parish families in order to ensure all embrace their Catholic faith and build on the catechesis in their homes.
- Collaborates with the Pastor to understand the needs of the parish, as well as the unique character and quality of the larger community in which the parish exists; based on the needs, works with the Pastor to develop the overall ministry to the parish and integration of activities.
- In collaboration with the Pastor, develops and coordinates the sacramental preparation programs for Reconciliation, First Holy Communion, and Confirmation for all parishioners, including those students who may be off schedule, with reception of these sacraments, not to include those in RCIA program.
- Develops and implements all resources for catechesis in accordance with Diocesan guidelines; ensures that programming incorporates the family (as the primary educators of the children) in the faith formation process, is integrated with the larger life of the church, including liturgical celebrations, sacraments, and church seasons, and provides opportunities for service, participation in prayer, personal spiritual development, and communal worship.
- Recruits, selects, manages, guides, and evaluates volunteer catechists, grade level coordinators, and office staff.
- Articulates a vision of catechesis and the catechetical process based on the major catechetical documents of the Church.
- Develops and maintains the annual catechesis budget; responsible for reviewing and approving related bills; monitors the purchasing, storage, and distribution of educational resources.
- Performs a comprehensive annual evaluation of the resources, ensuring the catechesis is using best practices.
- Researches, implements and reviews the annual Vacation Bible School program for K-5. Coordinates with the Faith Formation Assistant to recruit teen and adult volunteers.
- Recruits and evaluates the Faith Formation Assistant; collaborates with the Faith Formation Assistant to ensure all administrative functions of the Faith Formation program exceed Diocesan standards.
- Recruits and monitors volunteer catechists to ensure compliance with Diocesan and Parish protocols; establish regular meetings with the catechists to assist with professional development in the Catholic Faith and catechetical teaching methods.
- Stays up to date with all Diocesan policies, changes, and requirements. Discusses these with the Pastor before implementing or making changes to the program.
- Other duties as assigned by Pastor.
- Must be a fully-initiated and practicing Catholic, able to participate in the full sacramental life of the Church with a commitment to growing consistently in her/his faith life.
- Must have sound knowledge and understanding of Catholic Church theology, history, structure, and hierarchy.
- Must have a hands-on understanding of catechesis and evangelization with the ability to articulate and teach the Catholic faith in a compelling manner.
- Must be sensitive to controversial issues and ability to respond in accordance with Church teaching.
- Must have an ability to articulate ideas clearly, concisely, professionally, and respectfully, both orally and in writing.
- Must have an ability to develop, manage, and evaluate programs; ability to align program goals with strategic goals and objectives and to formulate recommendations to improve program delivery and/or management.
- Must be an active listener with the ability to work collaboratively, foster teamwork, and address conflict as it arises. Must also have the ability to apply critical thinking to solve problems.
- Must have strong attention to detail with the appreciation for and ability to budget and implement financial controls.
- Bachelor’s degree in Theology or Religious Education or equivalent experience required;
- Master’s Degree in Theology preferred.
Years and Type of Experience:
- at least three years’ catechetical experience
- prior experience managing staff and finances
- prior experience recruiting and/or managing volunteers
Responsibilities and Authority:
- Position Reports to: Pastor
- Position Supervises: Faith Formation Assistant and all volunteer Catechists
Physical Demands/Working Environment:
- Average hours worked: 40+ hours per week
- Work performed will be in and out of office setting
- Evening and weekend work as directed
- Ability to manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weight of 10-50 pounds
Send applications or inquiries to: email@example.com