In 2021 and the year of its inception, Parents Defending Education (PDE) exceeded $2M in revenue and procured over 7,000 donors! With this remarkable breakout year, the organization is poised to build upon its success and is hiring a Major Gifts Officer to steward and upgrade current donors by bringing them more deeply into the organization’s mission to reclaim America’s schools from activists who promote harmful agendas.
Parents Defending Education is a national grassroots organization founded to restore a healthy, non-political education for America’s children. Through coalition building, investigative reporting, litigation, and engagement on local, state, and national policies, PDE is fighting indoctrination in the classroom. Rather, PDE promotes a strong and non-biased education that works with the development of children to safeguard their happiness and ability to succeed in life.
Schools are adopting an illiberal curriculum that is divisive, embraces oppressive power dynamics, and embeds shame without the consent of parents and communities, whose interests they allegedly serve. PDE promotes engaged citizenship by bringing together a coalition to give a voice to those who would otherwise be shamed into silence through slander. To learn more about the organization and its work, follow this link HERE
THE MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER ROLE
The MGO will be Parents Defending Education’s fulltime and only fundraiser and will be supported and managed by the organization’s fundraising consulting firm, American Philanthropic. The MGO will be set up to succeed with a portfolio of active and prospective donors. He or she will focus primarily on cultivating, sustaining, and upgrading both major donors and strategic partnerships with foundations across the country. The MGO will implement well-defined stewardship procedures. Through personal contacts, meetings, networking, and promoting Parents Defending Education’s programs, the MGO will help donors come into closer relationship with its mission.
With support from Parents Defending Education’s executive leadership and American Philanthropic’s fundraising consultants, the MGO will play an instrumental role growing revenue and expanding reach. The successful candidate will be an industrious, personable, and resourceful person who thrives with independence and meets goals. For the aspiring MGO, comprehensive onboarding and MGO coaching and general fundraising training will be provided.
The position is remote and reports to both Parents Defending Education and American Philanthropic, and requires travel up to 40-50%. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package.
The MGO’s primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Managing and cultivating an active portfolio of prospective and existing donors;
- Cultivating and stewarding strategic relationships with foundations;
- Executing individual stewardship strategies for engaging, cultivating, soliciting, upgrading, acknowledging, and retaining major donors;
- Traveling throughout the U.S. for face-to-face cultivation and solicitation meetings;
- Utilizing donor research tools effectively and supporting research for new donor prospects;
- Re-engaging and renewing lapsed donors;
- Maintaining accurate and thorough moves-management records in database;
- Providing regular updates and reports;
- Traveling to attend Parents Defending Education events, remaining abreast of mission developments, and developing relationships with key Parents Defending Education staff; and
- Working collaboratively with the Parents Defending Education executive team and American Philanthropic to achieve clearly articulated goals, both individually and as a team.
- Parents’ Rights
- Individual freedom
- Free Speech
- Relational and persuasive
- Ambitious and self-motivated
The successful candidate will have at least five years professional experience and two years in donor relations/fundraising. He or she will also:
- Strongly align with Parents Defending Education’s mission and be adept at discussing the organization’s position on its primary issues in defending the First Amendment.
- Possess outstanding interpersonal skills to be able to form strong relationships with donors.
- Have strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Be able to work independently and meet deadlines with little oversight.
- Take initiative for own success, learning, and professional development.
- Stay organized, track progress, and meet goals.
- Manage stress and multiple priorities with decorum.
- Have an achievement-oriented personality.
- Remain resilient with major gift solicitations.
- Be able to travel up to 40-50% of the time.
For more information or to apply, follow this link HERE