Front Royal, VA
**School looking to hire Christendom Alumni**
To provide a classical liberal arts education within the Montessori tradition in a diverse academic environment for students grades 10 -12 in the subjects of History & Theology. To actively engage in working with students academically, leading them spiritually, and motivating them in extra-curricular activities as JPGMA seeks to form the whole person as understood by the work of John Paul II through its educational model.
This position will report directly to Lead Guide of the Upper School.
This is a part time, 10 hour/week position, also possibly requiring limited after school participation in dismissal and extra-curricular activities. School events in the evenings and weekend activities are also required as necessary on a limited basis. JPGMA takes its calling of student education and formation very seriously, and expects all staff to be available to fulfill any needs that may arise throughout the school year in their service.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Will teach History & Theology to grades 10-12.
- Will create and submit lesson plans for approval every 8 weeks.
- Will work directly with the Head of School and Upper School Staff in establishing grade record keeping and will submit grades and performance reviews in a timely manner upon request for each student.
- Will communicate regularly with the Lead Guide on student performance.
- Will participate in overseeing drop off, pick up, and recess during the school week as assigned.
- Will set up their classroom environments and provide materials lists to the Lead Guide prior to the commencement of each semester.
- Will spend time each semester observing in other environments, classrooms, and other subjects
Job performance reviews will be conducted on a semester basis, and Upper School teachers are expected to meet monthly with the Head of School whom they report to directly.
A successful candidate will possess the following skills/traits:
- A college degree
- Teaching experience
- Passionately and faithfully Catholic
- Dynamic, inviting, and engaging personality, ability to make educational materials accessible and interesting to students
- Excellent written and oral communication skills between all stakeholders
- Ability to lead students as a subject Guide more so than an authoritative teacher
- Ability to provide project-based learning through relationship-based teaching
- Clean background check and driving record
- Desire to grow in the knowledge of the Montessori method and to apply that knowledge to the classical liberal arts
- Extreme flexibility and patience
- A strong love of the adolescent person
- Desire to be a part of a young school with a developing program
Commensurate with experience and ability
Head of School